California Culinary Academy, Le Cordon Bleu – A.O.S. in Culinary Arts
University of Virginia – B.A. in Anthropology
Marketing Director | Hawaiian Ola (8/17-present)
- Lead online and event marketing for fast-growing craft beverage and supplement company.
- Develop B2B partnerships to increase brand awareness within Hawaii. Develop and execute strategy for US Mainland expansion.
- Support local retail and wholesale accounts.
Metro Marketing Field Team Leader | Whole Foods Market (2/12-7/17)
- Drive sales through increased customer count and basket size with creative events, clear signage and print collateral, effective social marketing, and win-win community partnerships.
- Generate media coverage (~2 stories weekly) for the store, focusing on publications catering to the Japanese tourist market. Coordinate with product teams to ensure product mix and inventory meet the demands created by these pieces.
- Collaborate with Purchasing team and local suppliers to develop sales-driving promotions, support supplier initiatives, and highlight local products as a key element of our marketing strategy.
Accomplishments & recognition:
- Creator of Whole Foods Market Hawai`i’s `ONO Awards, an annual program established in 2013 to recognize exceptional local suppliers.
- Team Leader Mentor for the Career Development Associate Store Team Leader program, 2013-present.
- Regional All-Star for high performance in 2015; Honorable Mention in 2013.
- Led marketing for Kailua store’s grand opening in April 2012. Forged new community partnerships, collaborated with regional team on pre-opening events, and conducted interviews with media outlets to promote the new store.
Food writer and recipe developer| Various publications (5/06-2/12)
- EAT GOOD FOOD: a Grocer’s Guide to Shopping, Cooking, and Creating Community Through Food – October 2011, Ten Speed Press
Co-authored a guide to better grocery shopping, complemented by 90 recipes for simple seasonal cooking. The book, written from a retailer’s perspective, was largely informed by input gathered directly from producer partners.
- Sweet Cream & Sugar Cones: 80 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats -April 2012, Ten Speed Press
Co-authored a cookbook based on San Francisco’s most popular ice cream shop.
- Contributor to national and local publications, including Edible Hawaiian Islands, Fine Cooking, The Honolulu Weekly, HAWAI`I, Saveur, and the San Francisco Chronicle.
Marketing Director | Bi-Rite Market, San Francisco CA (11/08-6/09)
- Tracked trends and developments in the retail grocery industry and created regular reports for buyers and managers.
- Spearheaded all marketing initiatives for the business, including redesigning the store’s website, organizing promotional events, developing print collateral, and writing press releases.
- Launched social networking presence for the store. Generated 1,000 Twitter followers within first three months of usage and successfully used the tool to promote new products, extend brand awareness, and monitor customer satisfaction.
Recipe Tester & Staff Writer | Fine Cooking Magazine, Newtown CT (8/07-10/08)
- Rigorously tested recipes to ensure completeness, accuracy, and ease of use. Developed weekly testing plans, sourced ingredients and supplies, and executed tests for multiple recipes simultaneously.
- Wrote the magazine’s ‘From Our Test Kitchen’ department – a collection of tips, tricks, and useful information relevant to each issue’s recipes. Styled food for the department’s photos.
- Developed inventive and enticing recipes for the magazine, including entrees, desserts, beverages, stocks, and preserves.
Catering & Marketing Manager | Bi-Rite Market, San Francisco CA (6/06-5/07)
- Collaborated with kitchen on strategic projects, including menu redesign, developing new menu items, and calculating recipe cost.
- Directed sales, planning, and production of full-service catering events for the business.
- Spearheaded marketing initiatives for the store, including promotional events, guest education programs, and quarterly newsletters.
Intern | San Francisco Chronicle – Food and Wine departments, San Francisco CA (2/06-5/06)
- Tested recipes prior to printing in the newspaper. Ensured that recipes were complete, easy to understand, and reliable. Performed basic editing on recipes for publication.
- Wrote lively, engaging copy for “What’s New” and other columns. One feature story (“The Ultimate Cup of Joe?” 5/10/06), was the sixth-most read story the day it first appeared on sfgate.com.